Pag


Pag (Italian: Pago, German: Baag) is the largest town on the island of Pag, with a population of 2,849 (2011), located at 44°26′N 15°04′E / 44.44°N 15.06°E / 44.44; 15.06. Whole municipality has a population of 3,846.[1] Coordinates: 44°26.61′N 15°03.27′E / 44.44350°N 15.05450°E / 44.44350; 15.05450 Medieval Pag emerged near the salterns where the abandoned Old Town used to be, 3 kilometres (2 miles) south of the present location. According to historical documents, the name Pag was mentioned for the first time in the 10th century. In 976, the Croatian king Stjepan Držislav took Pag from the Byzantine authority and appointed a Croatian district Prefect as the administrator of the town. In 1244 Hungarian-Croatian king Béla IV granted Pag the status of a free royal town. After the rebell... Find out more →

Pag